For more than 10 years, I have worked closely with children, teenagers, and young adults through church and community work, especially with youth coming from broken families, emotional wounds, instability, rejection, or lack of support at home. Over the years, I invested deeply into many young people by giving time, emotional support, mentorship, opportunities, encouragement, leadership, and a safe place where they could feel accepted and loved. Many of them grew up around us, and we walked with them through some of the hardest seasons of their lives.
Because of their pain and backgrounds, I often led with extreme patience and understanding. I avoided hard confrontation because I feared making them feel abandoned. I believed that if we loved people enough and stayed consistent enough, they would eventually become emotionally healthy, grateful, respectful, and mature adults.
But after many years, I had to face a painful realization: love without boundaries can slowly create unhealthy relationships where gratitude, responsibility, and respect begin to disappear.
When people are constantly emotionally rescued, constantly excused because of their pain, and constantly protected from consequences, some unconsciously begin to develop unhealthy patterns:
“If I distance myself, people will work harder to keep me.”
“I can receive support without learning responsibility.”
“Care will continue no matter how I behave.”
This is not emotional healing. It is emotional immaturity.
I also realized that what teaches disrespect is not love itself, but leadership that becomes afraid of upsetting people.
Over time, relationships can become one-sided. The leader carries the emotional weight, absorbs tension, avoids difficult conversations, and continuously gives understanding while receiving very little responsibility or maturity in return.
This realization has been painful because my intentions were sincere. I truly loved and cared for these young people. But constantly protecting people from correction, discomfort, or accountability does not always help them grow. In some cases, it can unintentionally reinforce avoidance, entitlement, emotional manipulation, or lack of respect for others.
At the same time, I have also had to acknowledge my own role in these dynamics. My fear of losing people often made me soften necessary boundaries and delay necessary confrontation. I confused keeping peace with preserving healthy relationships. What I am beginning to understand is that this pattern does not only affect ministry. Over time, constantly adapting yourself to keep peace or maintain relationships can slowly affect your entire personal life as well.
When you spend years softening yourself to protect others emotionally, you can begin losing your own voice, boundaries, and even your sense of self-worth. You stay silent to avoid tension. You explain away disrespect. You minimize your own needs because you are trained to understand everyone else first.
A healthy relationship should not require you to constantly shrink yourself, silence yourself, or abandon your emotional truth in order to keep connection.
Real love requires mutual respect.
Mutual responsibility.
Mutual honesty.
Mutual emotional safety.
To anyone serving vulnerable people: do not lose your compassion, but do not abandon wisdom either. Boundaries are not rejection. Accountability is not lack of love.
Some lessons I am learning are:
Do not ignore disrespect just because you understand someone’s pain. Do not confuse emotional chasing with love.Do not over-explain yourself to people committed to misunderstanding you. Do not abandon your standards to avoid losing relationships.
Healthy love requires both compassion and accountability. Support should help people stand stronger, not become permanently dependent on being carried.
“My emotions control the relationship.”
My mistake was not loving too much. My mistake was often giving compassion without enough boundaries and support without enough accountability.
A personal reflection, written from experience and edited with AI support.


No comments:
Post a Comment